Saturday, August 22, 2015

Ch-ch-ch-changes

By Gayle Carline
Author, Horse Owner, Enthusiastic Embracer of All Things New

Okay, that last title is not only not a real thing, it's only partially true. I like new things. New Ariats, a cute new outfit, new gadgets. I had to order a new watch yesterday (my watches tend to fall completely apart and I do mean completely after about a year of sun, heat, horse hair, dirt, sunscreen, sweat, etc) and I'm super excited to see that Amazon box on my front porch.


The sides broke and it stopped working. 


Changes, however, to my lifestyle? Not much of a fan, even when I'm the one who makes the change. Still, at my age, I know that nothing stays the same, you learn to roll with the punches, make lemonade out of lemons, and ask for serenity to accept what's out of your control. 

Of course, wine and chocolate help.


Sorry, I ate the chocolate.


The big change I'm dancing around here is that my trainer is moving to a new facility. It was a long-thought-out, carefully considered decision. She discussed it with all of her clients to get their opinions and their buy-ins. Our current facility has been slowly becoming less horse-centric and more dog-centric, and the new place is only two doors down from us.


Our new tack room - so cute!


I don't blame the owner--dogs are a more lucrative business in southern California. It will be a win-win situation for everyone. The owner can develop the remaining horse stalls and arenas into dog training and kennels, and my trainer can be at a full-on equestrian facility with more opportunities to grow her business.

But.

We've been at the ranch for 12-13 years. Snoopy was born there. Before the owner got involved with dog training, she was my horse trainer. It's still a quiet and relaxing place to hang out while my horse is out playing, or standing in the sun, drying after a bath. In a way, it's like leaving home.


Snoopy's new barn. Frostie will be in a pipe stall behind it.


And while the new place is lovely and has a lot of perks, I know the grass isn't greener. We now have to share resources with other trainers on the property. Compromising will be done. Adjustments (as well as mistakes) will be made. 

I've made the decision to take each phase as it happens. We are currently moving our stuff, bit by bit (no pun intended) to the new facility. This is the "OMG, this place is wonderful and we're going love it here!" phase. We need this phase to keep the stars in our eyes while our muscles ache from all the schlepping.

Once we move in, the "Hmm, this place has too much/too little of x,y,z" phase takes over. It's like piercing your favorite balloon and watching the air seep out. I will accept this and move through it with a glad heart. And wine and chocolate.

How do you handle changes in your life? 



Of course, I had to include the song. It's stuck in my head. Now it's stuck in yours. You're welcome.

3 comments:

Dane Jane said...

Chocolate and wine are my drugs of choice when dealing with change, too! Look at it as an adventure and a chance to meet new people and learn new things. I've made some of my best friends at barns. By the way, Snoopy's new barn looks just like my new barn except for the color. Barnmaster?

Gayle Carline said...

I don't know what the barn is. All I know is, we're moving into it!

Laura Crum said...

Great post, Gayle. I'm going through some changes, too, and I am trying to hold that same attitude that you have about the whole thing. Yes, there will be ups and downs, but overall it's best to go with the flow and embrace whatever the universe wants to bring you. Good luck with your changes and the new barn.