Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Get "Slickrock" For Free!


                                                by Laura Crum 

            Starting today, Weds Jan 9th and going through Sunday, Jan 13th, you can get the Kindle edition of my fifth novel, Slickrock, for free. Slickrock was the winner of my contest for a free book, getting the most votes, with Hoofprints in second place. For those who wanted Hoofprints (the second book in my series), that book is currently on special offer for 99 cents, making it almost as good as free. Here is the link to get Hoofprints. And here is the link to get Slickrock for free. Also, if you want to start with the first book in the series, that book, Cutter, is also on special offer for 99 cents. Here is the link.
            If you haven’t tried my mystery series yet, Slickrock has always been the overall reader favorite of my twelve novels featuring equine veterinarian Gail McCarthy. The series as a whole is set in Santa Cruz County, California, where I live, but Slickrock takes place on a horse-packing trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, and the whole mystery occurs in that context. It’s essentially a “vacation mystery”. Sort of the vacation from hell.
            In brief: Gail embarks on a solitary pack trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, with just her two horses and her dog for company. Seeking peace and tranquility, she stumbles upon a soon-to-be-dead man, and is drawn into the whirlwind of events that precipitated the tragedy. It will take all of Gail’s strength and ingenuity to survive this trip, and all of her intelligence to figure out who is stalking her through the mountains. Lots of horse action—all of it based on things that have actually happened.


            The beginnings of Slickrock are buried in my distant past—the summer I was twenty-two and spent three months living by myself in a tent at a Sierra lake, with just my six month old dog for company. I wasn’t there to write a novel—no, I was after something much bigger than that. I’d fallen in love with the book, Walden, by Henry David Thoreau, and I was trying a grand experiment in solitary living, to prove or disprove the claims of that book. I meant to write something, of course. My senior project, as an English major, was a paper to be written about my time of living by myself at Burgson Lake in the mountains, and how it compared to Thoreau’s sojourn at Walden Pond.
            To that end, I kept journals while I lived at the lake, meaning to weave them into something cohesive later. I did present the paper, but have long ago lost it, but the journals, with their descriptions of my solitary life in a tent at Burgson Lake, stayed with me. Those journals were the beginning of Slickrock.
            Here I am with Joey, my six-month-old Queensland heeler, at Burgson Lake, thirty-three years ago. The photo was taken by my friend, Shery, when she drove up to spend a weekend at the lake with me.

            It wasn’t until I was thirty that I conceived the idea of writing mystery novels—more or less inspired by Dick Francis. I came up with the concept of a female equine veterinarian as a protagonist, and began by writing about cutting horses (my first novel, Cutter), as I had spent my late twenties training and showing cutting horses. By my thirties I was involved with team roping horses (which play a large part in my third and fourth novels, Roughstock and Roped). I was also taking many horseback pack trips into the Sierra Nevada Mountains on our own horses. On the longer trips, we crossed the spine of these mountains many times, going over several different passes, and camping at dozens of high Sierra lakes. The longest trips lasted two weeks or so. I kept journals on these trips, too. And gradually the concept of a pack trip mystery began to assume form.
            I wanted to write about the pack station that I had worked at, and the lakes and passes I knew. The trails and the steep, rocky terrain were big in my mind. And, of course, every wreck and near-wreck that had come our way, as well as some described to me by friends, would make their way into this pack trip story. But…I needed a plot.
            Well, as I often do, I borrowed from life. I had heard a tale of real life villainy involving horses that interested me (can’t tell you—it would spoil the story). And I had, myself, stumbled upon a very dramatic crime scene that I thought would make a good opener for the book. And then there were all my Sierra journals, written while I was up in the mountains, for background. And so Slickrock was born (and named for the infamous “slickrock”, which also plays a part in the story).
            I tried to incorporate all my real life pack trip adventures into this book, as well as my favorite places. The picture below shows me riding across Kerrick Meadows, high in the eastern Sierras, and the scene of a fairly thrilling horseback chase in Slickrock.

            The horse Gail rides in the novel is Gunner, but most of my pack trips adventures were on Flanigan, and it is his stalwart nature that is the bottom line in both the story and my real life travels. Here I am on Flanigan at Wood Lake, a lovely Sierra Lake which appears in Slickrock.

            Slickrock has always been the reader favorite of my novels—I can’t say exactly why. For me, the parts drawn from my journals that describe what it is like to be alone in these mountains are the really interesting part of the book. And I think that perhaps some readers agree. For those of you, like me, who admire Funder’s writing and blog (“It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time,” listed on the sidebar), here is Funder’s comment on Slickrock:

“And her place descriptions are amazing! Having read Slickrock I desperately want to learn to pack. She really captures the beautiful, remote, terrifying, captivating reality of the mountains. (I could do without all the calamities that befell Gail!)”

            So there you go. If that doesn’t make you want to read the book, I don’t know what will. Except the fact that it free right now on Kindle—only until the end of this week. So now is the time, if you’re interested at all. I honestly think that if you enjoy my writing on the blog, you will enjoy this novel.

            Here is the link to the Kindle editions of my books. If you do give Slickrock a try, I’d love to know what you think of it. And if you would post a review on Amazon, I’d be really grateful.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Coincidently, my mom just sent me a Kindle Fire for Christmas. The very first book I purchased was Cutter. I have not started it yet, due to time management issues, but look forward to it this weekend. I cannot open your links from this computer but will do so when I get home. Once a start reading about a person I want to know the whole story...I'm a sucker for a series!
Thank you for the great deals!

Laura Crum said...

Thank you, Cindy D! Grab Slickrock now while it is free. And I hope you enjoy the series--there are twelve books, so lots of reading fun.

RiderWriter said...

Laura, this is great - I just got a Kindle yesterday as my 5-year anniversary gift from the company I work for. Now loaded with Slickrock! :-)

Laura Crum said...

RiderWriter--Yay! Hope you enjoy the book. And I would love to get your thoughts on it. Also, if anyone who gets the book has the time to post a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads, I would very grateful.