Friday, October 29, 2010

Short Post

I'm cheating--again--and writing a short post. But I was in a teacher workshop all day on "Teachers Who Inspire," and even though teaching requires much of my time that I could be writing or promoting my books, it also keeps me sane. For example, my novel Whirlwind came out in May. I have been standing on my head trying to promote it. Today I forwarded an e-mail to my editor from a reader wanting to know if there will be a sequel. (This is not the first e-mail asking about a sequel, but was worthy of forwarding.) Sorry, my editor wrote back, sales just aren't that good.
My agent also sent me a rejection for my YA she's shopping around. All this since my workshop.
BIG SIGH. Depressive thoughts. Why am I doing this questions.
Teaching helps me keep my author life in perspective. It reminds me that I have a skill that is often appreciated. (Okay, I teach reluctant college students . . .you get the picture.) But I interact with real humans with real problems. I encourage and motive. I listen and offer suggestions.
So different from my writing life and so needed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teaching is good, writing is good. It's important how you feel about each, and both can be solid parts of your life. Do what feels right to you, and don't worry too much about the rest!

Linda Benson said...

Ah, Alison - It's comforting to know that even successful and well-published authors such as yourself still feel the sting of rejection. I'm glad you are teaching. It probably feels exhausting, sometimes, wearing so many hats, but I know you bring a lot to the table and touch so many lives by doing so. Keep on! There will be better days. And isn't it nice to know that you do have fans that want more of your stories? (And I'm one of them.)

Alison said...

Thanks for the kind words, Kate and Linda--I was feeling self-indulgent but I guess we are all allowed.
Linda, if you check this--is Kenyetta on 60 Minutes on Sunday?

Linda Benson said...

Yes, Alison. Undefeated Zenyatta will be featured on 60 minutes on CBS - Sunday, October 31st. I believe the time is 7:00 PM.

And she runs for her 20th win, and repeat win in the Breeder's Cup Classic against the boys, on Saturday, November 6th. I can hardly wait!!