Sunday, September 5, 2010

My No-Labor Day Weekend


I'm spending the weekend on Puget Sound, Gig Harbor, specifically, without horses. Once in a while, my husband and I go out on a friend's boat for the weekend. So this is our weekend away from everything.

Horses and boats have a lot of similarities. They both make you forget your worries and just "be." All week, I run around like a crazy person, multi-tasking to the max, and fitting everything in my tight schedule, so I can work, ride, write, and spend quality time with hubby and friends. On top of all that, we have a small farm we work hard to maintain. Since I don't keep horses at home right now, I have blackberry vines taking over my horse pasture, weeds growing in my horse arena, and a barn I seldom go into. So when I'm home, I'm working on the place. Being away, gives me an opportunity to do nothing.

If you've never had the opportunity to be on Puget Sound in a boat, you don't know what you're missing. Puget Sound is one of the most unique waterways in the world. Its protected waters and countless coves, inlets, passages, islands, and harbors are a boater's dream. Even if you're not a boater, you'd enjoy a day on the water almost as much as you'd enjoy a day on the back of a horse.

It's hard to say what's more expensive: boats or horses? I've had both, and I can say they're equal in cost and enjoyment. For me, I'd take horses over boats anyday, even though I enjoy the weekends out on a boat. There's still something about a horse, and having a bond with an animal which has no equal.

I hope you enjoy my pictures of Gig Harbor and Puget Sound. Next post, I want to report on safety vest for riders that have air bags which deploy.

Have a great Labor Day weekend. I hope you enjoy it.


3 comments:

BB said...

Sounds fantastic. Enjoy!!!

Jan said...

Lovely photos of the Sound! I've never been there, but is certainly is very picturesque. And it's good to be reminded that, sometimes, a bit of time away from your horse, can be good. I want to spend my every weekend with my horse! (Maybe he would enjoy a break as well! LOL!)

Alison said...

Thanks for the photos! Since like you I am usually home doing too many chores, I enjoyed a virtual vacation (plus I doubt I will ever get to Puget Sound.)